Sunday, February 12, 2012

katorin

+jmj+

It is not much of a secret that Totus Tuus, the summer catechetical camp that I've taught in Chicago the past three summers, is just about my favorite thing in the whole entire world. I love talking about this mission that I am a part of, and that is so dear to my heart. I have made some of my best friends through Totus Tuus, and have come to grow in my faith more than I could ever imagine. Totus Tuus is part of who I am!

Of course, when I was just meeting my friends from the Cathedral at the beginning of the year, I told them all about Totus Tuus and what I've done. One of my friends told me that there was something similar in this diocese--a Catholic summer camp for elementary and middle school students, with focuses on prayer, games, and fun--called Katorin. There are certainly differences from Totus Tuus (like the fact that this is a sleep-away camp in the summer), but in general, it was the French equivalent of my beloved camp!

Katorin is a portmanteau word (meaning it is a combination of two distinct words--thanks franco-linguistics!), made up of "catholique" (Catholic in French, and slightly morphed with a K), and St. Taurin, who was the first bishop of Evreux. The motto of Katorin is "Jeux, Prière, Amitié", which means "Games, Prayer, Friendship", all tenets of Totus Tuus as well.

My friend, upon learning about my enthusiasm and experience with Totus Tuus, invited me to help with Katorin throughout the year. Unlike Totus Tuus, there are monthly get-togethers for the kids who attend Katorin throughout the year where we play some games, have a snack, do a craft, and go to Mass together. I was more than happy to share some of Totus Tuus with the Katorin team, and I have been able to translate such Totus Tuus classics as Amoeba Tag into French to play with these kids! It is so fun to be able to basically do Totus Tuus in France!

Katorin has been one of the most rewarding parts about living in France, for several reasons. Not only is is comforting to have something so similar to Totus Tuus here, but I've also made some really great friends through Katorin. It's my little community here, and I've been welcomed in so generously. I look forward to our meetings and animations so much, and they bring me so much joy. Another of the many reasons I am here...

pax christi.

No comments:

Post a Comment