Friday, February 10, 2012

friday in paris!

+jmj+

Second trip to Paris in a week. So blessed. I headed into the city after school this morning, and got in around noon. I spent the early afternoon taking an exam, then it was time to celebrate! And what a blessed afternoon it turned into!

I walked to the Madeleine, a beautiful, huge church in the middle of Paris, just off the Seine. It's known for its Roman architecture, and impressive columns. I was planning on praying for a bit before meeting up with a friend, but I stumbled upon some kind of choir rehearsal. It was an all-boys choir from England and they sounded incredible. The acoustics of the Madeleine are stunning, and even the rehearsal sounded beautiful. After listening to them for a while, I found my friend and, just before we were going to leave the Madeleine, I asked one of the boys when their concert was--and he told me it was starting right then! So we stayed for the first part of the concert, and I am so glad we did!


With one blessing already on our little adventure, we set out to grab a quick bite to eat (goat cheese & spinach quiche for me--yum!), then make our way to a wine tasting! We saw some of these cool metal-work door/window covers in front of a gallery by SciencesPo.



Winding our way back from the wine bar, we noticed a church that we had never been to. The doors were open, welcoming us in to explore--and what a church did we find! Saint-Germain-des-Prés is a beautiful, old church with a long history in Paris. It gives its name to this neighborhood in Paris, and it is known for being the seat of much of the influential yet unsettling social and literary movements of the 1960's. The church itself, however, has been wonderfully preserved--even the painted walls and ceilings that have disappeared from most Gothic churches is still in great condition. It was another blessing to stumble upon this beauty, and we were even in time for Mass!



With crêpes in hand to end the evening, I walked back to the train station under all of the lights of Paris at night. It's such a beautiful city, and it just becomes even more magical at night! I'm in love with the city of love :)

pax christi.

No comments:

Post a Comment