Thursday, February 16, 2012

food, in the most delicious city

+jmj+


Paris has stolen my heart, and I am thoroughly convinced that I could spend every single second of the rest of my life there. I know that's not going to happen, but that wouldn't disappoint me. I am completely smitten with this city! Yesterday, yet again, I got to have another little adventure in this city.


I've had a legitimate reason for each of my past few trips into Paris, and yesterday was no exception. As part of Social Media Week, I had spotted a little panel called What's Eating Paris, featuring some of the cool American expats who live and write great food blogs in Paris. It was perfectly on a Wednesday (hence, no school, hence therefore a resurrection of Wednesdays in Paris), and so I decided it would be a really great opportunity to be a bit intellectual.

We started the afternoon with a trip to a new little burger joint, called Blend. They were super attractive because of their sweet potato fries! For the first time ever in Paris, I enjoyed a delicious veggie burger (yum.), and sweet potato fries. My fave.


We had a few hours to kill before the panel started, so we wandered our way in the beautiful Parisian weather to the Opera Garnier and the Palais Royal. I had never been to either, so it was prime opportunity. The Opera particularly was just gorgeous. More impressive than Versailles, I would say!

palais royal--reminds me of madrid



Construction was started on the Palais Garnier, the beautiful Parisian opera house, in 1861 by Napoleon III. The Emperor, in reconstructing Paris, asked Georges Hausmann to supervise the city's reconstruction. He was responsible for the gorgeous boulevards that Paris has become know for. He also cleared the land that would become the Opera. The architect Charles Garnier won a competition to design the lavish opera and ballet house, which opened its doors in 1875.




the manuscript for Cinderella!!!


ceiling painted by Chagall

I was so happy to have seen that. It was beautiful, and really important. Now the dream is to dance a ballet on that stage! I would just about die.

We trucked it to the panel after the Opera, and it was just wonderful. Not only did I get to hear some good American debating, see some great bloggers discussing life in Paris, and meet some new folks, but I got to do it all as an American living here myself. I wasn't there as a student, but as a regular joe living a sweet life in France. Literally. It was a great panel, with tons of great ideas and remarks about social media, food culture in Paris, and even intercultural musings. I was pleased.

Before grabbing a quick bite to eat before the train to Evreux, we stopped and watched the Eiffel Tower sparkle. We literally just sat down on a bench and watched for 20 minutes. There is nothing quite as magical as seeing this Parisian icon light up and twinkle. It can brighten the worst of moods, bring joy to the most despairing, offer a touch of hope to just about anyone. I can't count how many times I've seen it light up but it truly never gets old.


Paris, je t'aime.

pax christi.

No comments:

Post a Comment