Tuesday, November 22, 2011

last night's dinner

+jmj+

"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop 
whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating"
--Luciano Pavarotti

Mona is one of the most interesting and coolest people I have ever met, and I enjoyed a 5 hour dinner at her home last night. Yup--5 hours. Literally. It was awesome.

Being an American and a foreigner, I get plenty of invitations for a home-cooked meal, a cup of coffee, English lessons, etc. But last night, this invitation came via a good friend, and at an American's house! So I knew this wasn't going to be your average French dinner party. We showed up at Mona's house around 7:30, and were immediately welcomed into a beautiful, warm home. Mona is so friendly, and she opened up her home to me so quickly and generously.

We had an apéritif before dinner--a French tradition I have gotten quite used to! After over an hour of conversation and champagne in the living room, we moved to the dining room for the actual meal. Mona is also a vegetarian, so she made a traditional pot-au-feu for the men, and tofu with rice and vegetables for us. With our meal, as is customary, there was plenty of wine and bread. After dinner came the cheese course, and then dessert. Mona made chocolate mousse that was so rich and delicious! Somehow, 12:30 rolled around and we finally realized how long we had been there! I was very reluctant to leave, but I had school in the morning and Mona reassured me I'd be back.

A bit about Mona. She is an American by birth, but has been living in France since the '70s, so she is a seasoned expat. She is also an artist and her personality reflects that so well. Or the other way around. In any case, she is unique. She's very intellectual and loves to tell stories with passion, sound effects, and gros mots. I've never met anyone quite like her, and I really admire her. I so enjoyed getting to know her and hear about the incredible life she's led!

Needless to say, I was up way past my bedtime and very tired this morning for school, but it was completely worth it! Last night was quite an experience. It was certainly the longest dinner I've ever had, and I'd place it in the top 5 meals ever shared! And again, I am so blessed that I've met the people that I have. I believe that it is no coincidence that I am here. God keeps putting specific people in my life who are taking care of me and who make me so happy!

ps--Thanksgiving in Evreux tomorrow :) Yes, it's not the real Thanksgiving day, but it's the day we are able to cook and eat all day long! I'm so excited!

pax christi.

No comments:

Post a Comment