Tuesday, December 13, 2011

lisieux, revisited

+jmj+

This beautiful, if unseasonal, weather lends itself perfectly to traveling! Even little day trips are made that much more enjoyable without the traditional Normandy fog and rain. Yesterday, for a few hours in the late morning/early afternoon, I ventured to Lisieux again. It was a perfect day for walking around, and visiting the holy places that were so important in St. Thérèse's life!

St. Thérèse statue, outside of the Carmel

After getting off the train in the sunny town, I made a quick stop at the Carmel before heading up the hillside to the Basilica for Mass.

Lisieux from the basilica

the basilica

After Mass, I went back into town to visit the Cathedral of St. Peter. After St. Thérèse's family moved to Lisieux from Alençon (another town in Normandy), this was their parish. It was amazing being in the same church where this holy family attended Mass every Sunday, and where St. Thérèse and her sisters prayed on a daily basis before entering Carmel. Because it was a regular Monday afternoon, I was the only person in the church. It was so peaceful, and I was able to pray and explore without any distractions--perfect.

the confessional where St. Thérèse made her first confession

the high altar her father, Blessed Louis Martin, donated

the chapel where St. Thérèse attended daily Mass

Our Lady of Mount Carmel, pray for us

Again, I can't believe how blessed I am to live so close to Lisieux. With a quick train ride, I can easily find myself in a town that has had a profound effect on the world, and the Church. To think that St. Thérèse, just about a hundred years ago, lived here and prayed here, is an incredible thought. I am here, living in Evreux this year, for many, many reasons, and this is one of them!

St. Thérèse, pray for us!

pax christi.

No comments:

Post a Comment